I think it was in 2010 (the year before I moved to STL) that Andrew and I went down to Texas to visit Peter. We made it a road trip which is our favorite way to travel. We stayed with Peter for a couple of days then ventured over to New Mexico to explore. While we were there we stopped at a little diner on route 66 called Joseph's. Doesn't really scream New Mexican cuisine to me but oh my was it fabulous. Enchiladas christmas style is the thing to get down there and they were some of the best Mexican food I have ever had. At the end of the meal, the server brought us some sopapillas and some honey. Never had these before but WOW! They were the most amazing dessert I have ever had. That was about 5 years ago and I still remember how good they were. I have had a couple of cravings with this pregnancy (Mexican food being the top) and sopapillas being a close second. But despite all the Mexican resturants I have dragged Andrew to these last 5 months we have yet to find the coveted sopapillas. Finally a couple of months ago we went to this little dinner in STL called the Southwest Diner and they had them!!! So exciting! That day I had the cornmeal pancakes (good but Andrew's are so much better) and the home fries which are basically chunk of potatoes cooked. Both of these were so good that I didn't leave any room to try the sopapillas. I was disappointed but at least I knew they were close by. So today we ventured back to the Southwest Diner and I ordered the sopapillas first. So. Worth. The. Wait. I am not sure how many times during breakfast I said "wow, I am so happy right now!" I am pretty sure it was more than 5. They were amazing. A big drizzle of honey. Nice and warm. I can still taste them.
No comments:
Post a Comment